Sunday 16 February 2014

GARDEN MUSEUM IN LAMBETH, LONDON - VISIT THE EXHIBITION 'FASHION AND GARDENS'

THE EXHIBITION AT THE GARDEN MUSEUM, LONDON SOUNDS GOOD


I have read about this exhibition, called FASHION AND GARDENS: SPRING/SUMMER - AUTUMN/WINTER.

WHERE IS THE GARDEN MUSEUM?  THIS IS WHAT THEIR WEBSITE SAYS

The Garden Museum, formerly known as the Museum of Garden History, is based in the deconsecrated parish church of St Mary-at-Lambeth adjacent to Lambeth Palace on the south bank of the River Thames in London, located on Lambeth Road
The Garden Museum, London

Definitely will try to go along to the exhibition, it is on until 27 April this year (2014)

Below is a link to one of the articles I have read, written by Robin Lane Fox, who is one of my favourite garden writers.  He writes a column in the House & Home section of the Weekend Financial Times

Financial Times article about Fashion and Gardens, by Robin Lane Fox

The exhibition has been been assembled by curator Nicola Shulman, with support from Alexandra, her sister who is editor-in-chief of British Vogue.  If you follow the link above you will see there are some lovely colour reproductions of paintings of gardeners (female) from past centuries.

I like this comment by Robin Lane Fox in his article above: "Genuine gardeners are recognised by their rear cleavage, exposed when they bend over to attack chickeed".

I shall have to be careful what I show when I attack the chickweed, in future, but in the case of us lady gardeners, I fear it is the front cleavage we have to expose or not, as the case may be.

WHAT DO YOU WEAR IN THE GARDEN?

I guess most gardeners probably wear something fairly battered and tough.  Judging by what is to be seen on my allotment site, scruff in the order of the day.


One of my allotment friends shovels the muck


LADIES DO NOT DO SCRUFF

Remember the good old days?  I seem to recall that my mother did not wear scruffy clothes to garden, I have photos of her snipping off rose heads in a pretty cotton dress.  Maybe it is a modern custom to go gardening in ragged jeans and battered anoraks.  What do you think?

THE GARDEN YEAR OF 2014 ON THE ALLOTMENT

This is going to be the year when I photo or draw some of the best dressed gardeners!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment