Monday 2 September 2013

SNAILS CHOMP ON JUICY TOMATOES

SNAILS AND SLUGS RAMPAGE ON LONDON TOMATOES


I have found that snails in particular love eating tomatoes.  

Their favourites, like mine, are the juicy, soft skinned ones.
Juicy and sweet Mortgage Lifter

I try and find the pesky critters in the greenhouse and tread on them, with a certain amount of glee.

This year they have beaten me to it, and had feasts on lots of the best tomatoes.
Snails had a feast

GOT A LOT 

Anyway, despite the snail army, we have a very good crop of tomatoes, due no doubt to the very hot and sunny days this August. 

I have found that as usual I grew too many plants, carried away by the selection of packets of seeds I got cheap, cheap.

Picked on the allotment


Even with too many plants, which I had no pots for, I decided to plonk them on the allotment with not many caring gestures, waterings or feeds, and even so the little darlings have rewarded me with lots of fruits.

NEGLECTED TOMATO PLANTS



This seems to prove that even if you neglect a plant that is said to need staking, regular feeding, watering, cutting back, pulling off leaves and removing 'robbers', and just leave them to nature, you still might get a good crop.  Depends on the weather, I am sure.

Chutney nearly ready to 'jar'



CHUTNEY TIME


I don't like making chutney, it is a fiddle, and takes ages.  Also I never can find enough jars.  So the tomato chutney is a real labour of bother.  Got about 6 jars in the end, and they will be good for the cold days to come


TOMATO BLIGHT

You may remember that last year, with constant rain and cold days, we had dreadful blight.  This year, hoorah, no blight!  Got mildew on the courgettes, though


1 comment:

  1. I think you beat the snails this year! Any chance you can post your chutney recipe? I signed up to follow via email.

    ReplyDelete

Comment