Monday 8 July 2013

ALLOTMENTS ARE JUST A PAIN, AT THE MOMENT!

HAVE BEEN TENANT OF MY ALLOTMENT FOR LONGER THAN I CAN REMEMBER

I am not a newby when it comes to growing vegetables, but it still is a struggle, every year.

This year we have a heatwave, last year we had cold, grey skys and rain.  The slugs and snails flourished.  The tomatoes and potatoes all got blight.

At the moment I have to go and water stuff.  The spinach has gone to seed already.






Today I decided to make a spinach quiche, and reflected that growing your own gives you a huge amount of extra work in the kitchen too!  You have to eat it all, and you get gluts. (Are you listening, courgettes?)

Washing lettuce (mind the slugs)

Scrubbing potatoes

Shelling peas

Slicing beans

Preparing strawberries and gooseberries, and more.....

Its just one long wash, wash, wash!  Water, water, water.

There are always other people on the allotment site who also want to water, and we all have our hosepipes at the ready.  Only one tap near my plot and this can lead to bad feeling if somebody hogs the tap with their hose

But we get on well, on the whole, and my neighbouring plot-holders have become my friends.

1 comment:

  1. It looks so pretty, quite idyllic. Hard to believe it is such hard work looking at the pictures. But I know it is a lot of hard work!

    ReplyDelete

Comment